We ended up with 10 baby chicks. 2 eggs never developed and 6 died before hatching. 1 of the 10 needed 'help' to hatch. He is the little yellow runt. Half way through the hatching process I put the rest of the eggs in cartons. I will always wonder if we might have saved a couple more by doing this at 'lockdown' [the day you stop turning them]. I think I might also have the hatch in the bathroom, so we can easily bring the temp. and humidity in the room up to the incubator level so that opening and removing chicks from the incubator would be more doable. I did not like hatched chicks pecking on the in progress chicks. The kids won special recognition at the local homeschool science fair for being the most fun exhibit. [Yep, took laptop and showed the videos, live animals not allowed.]
I highly recommend the backyardchickens.com forum for information and support! A great group.
Here's an overview movie:
Here's a nice hatch:
The kids made their own video of one of the hatchings.
We had many friends over that day to see the amazing miracles!
They were such cute fluff balls and fun to watch and play!
This was the best 'science project' ever, I highly recommend it.
next post: rats.